Fried Green Tomatoes BLT with Bacon Aioli
This is a perfect early summer sandwich when the tomatoes are not quite ready but look great and green! This recipe also includes a bacon aioli (it’s like mayo) made with the rendered bacon fat.
Fried Green Tomatoes
2 lbs Fresh Green Tomatoes (sliced thick about ¼ inch)
1 cup Flour (all purpose)
1 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP Granulated Garlic
1 TBSP Paprika
2 each Eggs
¼ cup Water
1 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
As needed Canola Oil
Method of Preparation
- Set up the breading – in bowl one, combine the flour, salt, garlic and paprika, in bowl two, whip the eggs with the water and in the third bowl, mix the Italian and panko bread crumbs.
- Place one slice of tomato at a time into the flour (shake off excess flour) then into the egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs. Do this until they are all breaded and set aside for cooking.
- In a sauté pan, heat up enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan (about medium high heat). Place the breaded tomato into the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side (be sure not to over crowd the pan) or until they begin to brown. Remove from the pan and drain excess oil on a paper towel. Set aside for later assembly.
2 each Egg yolks
1 cup Bacon Grease (warm but not hot)
3 each Fresh Garlic Cloves
1 TBSP Salt
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
Method of Preparation:
- In a blender (or in a food processor or in a cup with an emersion blender), mix the egg yolks until they begin to turn light yellow.
- While the blender is still on, slowly add the bacon grease. This process needs to be carefully done to achieve the intended results. The oil should combine with the yolks and begin to resemble a yellowish mayonnaise.
- Once all the grease is incorporated, add in the garlic salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- ** If too thick, just add a tablespoon or two or water while mixing. If too thin, you have possibly added the grease too quickly and it is “broken”. To correct, remove the mixture into a bowl and add two more yolks to the blender and begin mixing again and repeat the process with the thin egg/grease mixture. This should correct the problem.
- Place into the refrigerator until needed.
2 slices Bread (toast if desired)
3 strips Cooked Bacon
2 leaves Lettuce
2 slices Fried Green Tomatoes
2 TBSP Bacon Aioli
Method of assembly:
- On one slice of bread, spread some of the bacon aioli on then top with the bacon, lettuce and fried green tomatoes. Then spread some more bacon aioli on the top slice of bread and cap the sandwich.
- Slice and serve.